Friday, June 25, 2010

Chao Peru!

Wow. I can hardly believe the memories I am taking back home with me today. This has been 6 weeks of my life that I will always look back on as an experience that changed me for the better. Above everything, I will always remember the people. I will always remember the kids, who have nothing, who are victims of poverty, abuse, and hunger, but yet are full of so much joy and love for life. I will remember how they hung on to me from day one, saying "hermana Elisabet, no te vayas!" ("don't leave!"). I'm blessed to have been able to stay here for so long with them, but that makes it so much harder to leave them today. I will also remember their mothers who I spent some time with as well. Women who are struggling in more ways than I can imagine, but still took the time everyday to ask me how I was doing and thank me for my work. I will also remember how welcoming all the OSA staff members were to me during my time here. They have truly been my family for the past 6 weeks. I've learned so much from each and every one of them and will miss them dearly. I have also learned so much from Christopher and Jessie. They have showed me what it looks like to step out of your comfort zone to serve others and serve God. I will be forever grateful for their hospitality and for making this experience possible for me.

This past week has flown by....

I celebrted birthdays with neighbors Jhovana and Miguel, and we also celebrated the construction of their new roof:

I witnessed an idol worshiping procession in the streets of Collique:



I taught nutrition classes to the OSA kids:














I taught my last Estimulacion Temprana class:














Jessie and I went to Las Brisas de Titicaca to see the cultural Peruvian dances:

And, of course, I created lasting memories spending time with the OSA kids:

If you'd like to know more about my experiences and what I have learned, don't hesitate to ask! I'd love to share! I am so grateful for ALL of the experiences I had while here. God has been faithful to me and all of the people in Collique. He is moving in great ways here through the people He has sent to be His hands and feet in a needy area. Thank you to everyone who made this experience possible for me, and thanks to those who prayed for me and encouraged me along the way. I am blessed.

-Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment